International Student Apply


Transfer International Student:

Admission Requirements To activate tab page press spacebar.

Read the requirements that fit your situation:

Transfer from Outside the U.S. — Lower-Division Student (in first or second year)

If you have been attending a college or university outside the United States and wish to transfer to WCU, the requirements are:

  • Fewer than 60 transferable semester units earned (less than two full years)
  • Meet all admission requirements for international freshman applicants
  • An overall GPA of 2.00 or greater in all college/university work combined. Your WCU Admissions Advisor will calculate your international GPA for you.
  • Completion of a General Education Mathematics course with a grade equivalent to “C” or better. This course must be college-level and completed post-secondary at a recognized institution.
  • An official test score proving your English language proficiency or eligibility for exemption.

Transfer from Outside the U.S. — Upper-Division Student (in third or fourth year)

If you have been attending a college or university outside the United States and wish to transfer to WCU, the requirements are:

  • At least 60 transferable semester college units earned (two or more years)
  • An overall GPA of 2.00 or greater in all college/university work combined. Your WCU admissions advisor will calculate your international GPA for you.
  • Successful completion of a General Education course with a grade equivalent to “C” or higher. This course must be college-level and completed post-secondary at a recognized institution.
  • An official test score proving your English language proficiency or eligibility for exemption.

NOTE: We do not offer any second bachelor’s degree programs.

Application and Document Deadlines To activate tab page press spacebar.

Application and document deadlines for international applicants are shown in the table below. 

Table of our application and document deadlines


Application Deadline

Document Deadline

For Fall Admission:
The application filing period opens October 1.

May 31

June 15

For Spring Admission:
The application filing period opens August 1.

October 31

November 15

Items to Submit To activate tab page press spacebar.

International applicants to WCU must submit the following:

  • Complete online application at WCU Apply. Please read the instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections. 
  • NEW! You can upload the following documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) to the program materials section of WCU Apply before submitting your application:
    • Affidavit of Financial Support (PDF) (both pages) and bank statement. If uploading is not possible, you may email both pages of the financial affidavit and the bank statement to us at
    • Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other acceptable test, unless exempt (see below)
    • A copy of your passport photo page
    • Unofficial transcripts
  • A $200.00 (US currency) non-refundable application fee. Due at the time you submit your WCU Apply application and can only be paid by credit or debit card.
  • All OFFICIAL post-secondary college or university transcripts in original language of issue. Your records must include official verification of any degrees you’ve completed. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. must have the U.S. institution(s) send official transcript(s) directly to WCU.
  • Official English translations of all academic records.
  • Mail all OFFICIAL transcripts and translations directly to:

Western Covenant University
Attention: International Admissions
3333 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90010-4101

The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by WCU for undergraduate admissions purposes.


Test Name
and Website

Minimum Score Required for Undergraduate Students

Send Score Directly To WCU

Cambridge C1 Advanced English (formerly CAE)


Email “Confirmation of Entry” page to

DET – Duolingo English Test


Online through your Duolingo Account. See Sending Your Results.

EIKEN CSE – Common Scale for English

2304 (Pre-1)

Contact EIKEN online; they will send the score directly to us.

GTEC CBT – Global Test of English Communication Computer-Based Test


Have GTEC send a copy of your “Official Score Certificate” to WCU.

IELTS Academic – International English Language Test System


Have IELTS send a copy of your “Test Report Form” to WCU.

iTEP Academic – International Test of English Proficiency


Have iTEP send your score to WCU.

PTE Academic – Pearson Test of English


Online through your PTE Academic Account.

TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language

— Internet Based score: 61
— Paper-based score: 500

We do not accept TOEFL ITP.

Use WCU Student Code xxxx.

Exception: If a transfer applicant has attended a college or university in the U.S. and has enrolled in any transferable classes or has attended a college or university outside the U.S. where English is the principal language of instruction for three or more years, an English language proficiency exam is not required. Instead, that student must complete the Written Composition requirement with a grade of “C” or higher.

  • WCU interprets “where English is the principal language of instruction” to mean that a school is located in a country where English is the daily medium of communication for the majority of residents, and that students receive academic instruction in English at all levels of education.
  • Countries currently meeting the above requirement are: Australia, Belize, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, plus a few nations in the Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Trinidad and Tobago).

If you have any questions, please contact an international admissions advisor.

WCU Intensive English Program and Conditional Admission:

An Intensive English Program (IEP) is offered through WCU’s Tseng College of Extended Learning. The International Admissions Office works closely with the IEP office to offer “conditional admission” to academically eligible students enrolled in the IEP. Admission to the university is guaranteed once the student has completed the English language requirement (TOEFL or other acceptable test). Read more at Intensive English and University Pathways.

After You Apply To activate tab page press spacebar.

Follow these steps to ensure the rest of your admission process goes smoothly:

  1. Set up your access to the WCU Portal and WCU email. Find the “Activate Your WCU Account” email from our Office of Admissions, which you received after submitting your application. You should receive the email 1 or 2 days after you apply.
  2. Check your application status. Log in to the WCU Portal, locate My Checklist and review any incomplete tasks.
  3. Check often for WCU correspondence sent to your WCU email address, by regular mail, and in the WCU Portal.

You will be notified of your admission status by the Office of International Admissions.

If you have been denied admission to the university, you may appeal this decision. For details and instructions to submit an appeal, please see Admission Appeals.

After You are Admitted To activate tab page press spacebar.

Admitted First-Time Transfer Students

Here are your next steps.

You’ve been admitted to WCU. Well done! Here are your next steps:

Step 1 – Obtain your Form I-20.

Please follow these instructions based on your location inside or outside the U.S. at the time of your admission:

  • Inside the U.S.: As soon as you receive our email offering admission, ask your college or university advisor to transfer your SEVIS record to CSUN. About two or three business days after your school releases you in the SEVIS database, our International Admissions Office will email your CSUN Form I-20 to you.
  • Outside the U.S.: Our International Admissions Office will email your CSUN Form I-20 to the email address you provided in your Cal State Apply admission application.

All F-1 visa students: If you prefer one of the following options other than receiving your I-20 by email, please contact us at as soon as possible:

  • Pick up your WCU Form I-20 from our International Admissions Office at WCU.
  • Ask us to hold your I-20 for a friend or family member to pick up.
  • Ask us to mail your I-20 to you or a friend or family member.

Step 2 – Complete visa and immigration advisement.

Upon admission, all new F-1 students must complete the online Six-Step Immigration Requirements for New International Students, including the mandatory Reporting Session with WCU’s International and Exchange Student Center (IESC). These steps allow you to maintain your visa status and register for WCU classes.

IESC will email you instructions, but you can start now at Immigration Requirements for Newly Admitted International Students.

If you are outside the U.S. at the time of your admission, please arrange an appointment at a local U.S. Embassy to secure your F-1 student visa. This can be a long process, so please make the appointment as soon as possible.

If you are unable to enter the U.S. for the spring or fall semester of your admission, please contact your IESC advisor at

Step 3 – File Intent to Register.

We’d like to know if you are planning to register for classes at WCU. Please submit your Intent to Register online for the semester of your admission before the date listed below:

  • Fall admission: May 1
  • Spring admission: as soon as possible after your admission to WCU (no later than Dec. 1)

How to file your Intent:

  1. Log in to the WCU Portal with your WCU user ID and password.
  2. Under My Checklist and the My Status heading, find the Intent to Register link.

No deposit is charged to file Intent to Register at WCU.

Step 4 – Take placement tests if needed.

A placement test does not affect your admission but places you into the class that fits your skill level. If you are majoring in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) fields, you may need to take one or both of the following placement tests:

  • the Chemistry Placement Test (CPT)
  • a Mathematics assessment

If you are required or recommended to take a placement exam, your Hub-International academic advisor will provide details in the “New F-1 International Student Academic Advisement Process” (see Step 5 below).

Important: Please do not register for a placement test unless the international academic advisor for new students asks you to.

Step 5 – Pre-enroll in classes.

An academic advisor for new international students will assist you with enrolling in your first-semester classes. Complete the Response Questionnaire to tell your advisor that you plan to attend and to share your class preferences.

How to pre-enroll:

  1. Monitor your WCU email inbox for an invitation from an academic advisor to complete the “New F-1 Undergraduate International Student Academic Advisement Process” Pre-Enrollment Steps 1-3, including the Response Questionnaire.
  2. If you do not receive the email within 14 days of your admission, request a new international student advisement workshop by contacting an advisor at:

Phone: (213) 293-1771

Workshops for students admitted to the fall semester are scheduled throughout the summer; workshops for students admitted to the spring semester are scheduled November through January.

  1. Start Pre-Enrollment Steps 1-3 today! Classes fill quickly, and you must be enrolled in at least 12 units to maintain student visa status.

Before your advisor can enroll you in classes, you must complete the following online processes to clear your advisement and registration holds:

    • IESC’s Online Immigration Requirements 
    • Access Title IX “Not Anymore” Training
    • COVID-19 Vaccination Self-Certification Requirement (required for spring 2022; to be announced for fall 2022)

Helpful: First-Time International Student Advising Checklist (now available for fall 2022; please check this link later for the spring checklist)

Step 6 – Prepare for registration.

Check your WCU email inbox for a new student registration message with instructions for your first semester of enrollment. For your second semester and thereafter, your enrollment appointment and any registration holds will display in the WCU Portal under My Checklist.

These tutorials are helpful for registration:

  • How-To Guides
  • My Checklist Guide
  • View Holds

Step 7 – Attend International Student Orientation.

During this required orientation, you will have the opportunity to learn more about the WCU campus and community, meet other students and discover resources for student involvement and belonging, academic success, information technology and more!

  • Online, virtual orientation events are currently scheduled in large and small groups, and in-person campus tours are available.
  • For the most current orientation information, including dates and registration, visit New Student Orientation – International Students.

Step 8 – Pay for your classes.

Please see the Tuition and Payment Deadlines section immediately below.

Best wishes for your first semester at WCU!

Tuition and Payment Deadlines To activate tab page press spacebar.

You and your family should take time to understand what your costs will be so you can make informed choices when preparing for this next step in your education. Please note that our international students pay basic tuition as well as nonresident tuition. All students pay additional mandatory campus fees.

The resources below will help you to estimate the cost of attending WCU:

  1. WCU Cost of Attendance
  2. WCU Net Price Calculator
  3. Complete the Affidavit of Financial Support (PDF). If you did not already submit this form and your bank statement through WCU Apply, email both pages of the affidavit and the bank statement to us at

Although the university does not offer financial aid to international students, other resources can assist you with the cost of attendance. Please visit Scholarship Opportunities for International Students.

For the most up-to-date information regarding tuition and other fees, refer to the Student Financial Services website.

How to pay for your classes

To view tuition and other fees:

  1. Log in to the WCU Portal.
  2. In the list of links below the Top Tools icons, select Make a Payment.
  3. On the Student Account Information page, review your Current Balance Outstanding.
  4. Select the WCU Payment button.

Important payment information:

  • The tuition payment deadline for international students is the first Friday of classes, every semester.
  • If you would like to request an extension or have questions about payment, please email us at
  • Note: A late payment (after the first week of classes) is not allowed for international students in their final semester at WCU.

Please be aware of the student disclosure regarding the Schedule of Tuition and Other Fees.

Helpful guides:

  • How to Pay Your Fees (payment options)
  • International Wire Transfer (PDF)
  • View Your Student Financial Account


Eligibility Requirements


  • Must be in good academic standing at the last institution attended.
  • Must have minimum 2.00 GPA in transferable coursework.
  • Must have at least minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter).
    • 30 of the 60 semester units (45 quarter), must be in General Education.
    • Completion of the “Golden Four
      • A1: Oral Communication
      • A2: English Composition
      • A3: Critical Thinking
      • B4: Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning


Documents Information

I-20 Copies

Please provide a copy of your most recent Form I-20 to include pages 1 and 2. If the applicant is currently on OPT, please submit the OPT Form I-20 issued from your previous institution.

Copy of Passport

passport is a travel document, usually issued by a country's government to its citizens, that certifies the identity and nationality of its holder primarily for the purpose of international travel.  Standard passports may contain information such as the holder's name, place and date of birth, photograph, signature, and other relevant identifying information.

Financial Capability

Before a U.S. consul will grant a visa, you must prove that you will have sufficient money to meet all your expenses while studying in the United States. You must explain the source of your funds and guarantee that you will receive them while at the University. Unless you are able to provide written evidence demonstrating you have adequate financial resources for the entire time needed to complete your degree program, the consul will not grant a student visa.

Applicants must be able to provide bank statements, business accounts, or a certified statement by a bank or acceptable official agency to show proof of available funds to cover all expenses while in attendance at the University.

If applicants do not meet the minimum financial requirement, then an applicant can submit a sponsor’s bank statement, Affidavit of Support, and Government-Issued photo identification

Please note on the Affidavit of Support form, Item C must include one of the following:

  • BCCS/BABA: $1,100.00
  • MA: $1,163.00

Applicants may combine sources of income such as personal bank statements, Affidavit of Support, or business accounts. Immigration laws only permit employment in special cases and only on a part-time basis.

For each dependent the applicant has, s/he must add an additional $2,000 per dependent (if applying from outside the U.S. or filing for F-1 Change of Status).

For example, if a student is applying to the MBA program from outside the U.S and is coming alone with NO dependents, they must reflect a minimum of $13,950. If they have ONE dependent, they must reflect a minimum of $15,950.

Recap of Financial Capability Minimums:

Undergraduate: $13,200

  • Transfer: $1,000 per dependent
  • COS and Initial: $2,000 per dependent

Graduate: $13,950

  • Transfer: $1,000 per dependent
  • COS and Initial: $2,000 per dependent
I-94 or I-797 Copies(Indicating Change of Status Approval)

The Form I-94 indicates the arrival departure record for a student’s F-1.
The Form I-797 Notice of Action indicates that the applicant changed status to his or her present visa.

Provide a copy of I-94 Card (front and back). For those students who arrived to the U.S. after April 2013, the I-94 is only available through the U.S. Government’s Official Web Portal for retrieving I-94 Admission number.

Digital I-94 can be obtained by going to:
Instructions on how to retrieve the I-94 online can be found at:


Submit a copy of the most updated visa. The visa can be expired or, if you changed your status while in the U.S., it can reflect a different status (ex: F-1/F2, B-1/B-2)

English Proficiency

WCU requires writing skills at the appropriate level. Proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English is essential to a student’s success at WCU. If English is not the applicant’s native language, or if an applicant has not had his/her secondary education taught in English, s/he will be required to provide proof of English Proficiency. Since classes are taught in English, an applicant must demonstrate his/her ability to read, write and speak English.

Applicants can demonstrate proof of English Proficiency by providing one of the following:

  1. A passing TOEFL PBT/IBT, IELTS, ACT Compass, Eiken English Proficiency Exam score. View theEnglish Proficiency PDF for more information.
  2. High School Diploma. For undergraduate applicants only, provide evidence of a high school diploma completed at an appropriately accredited / recognized high school (where the medium of instruction is English).
  3. Completed 24 credit hours in English. For undergraduate or graduate degree applicants, provide a transcript indicating completion of at least 24 semester, or 36 quarter hours of credit from an appropriately accredited institution where the language of instruction was English with an average grade of “C” or higher or “B” or higher, respectively. Units from English language training institutions do not count towards this requirement.
  4. Completed Degree from a U.S. Institution. Provide a transcript indicating completion of degree from an appropriately accredited college or university.

A transcript is a detailed record of your marks or grades that has been generated by your current or former university. Usually this will be a document, either on paper or online, with a list or table of the individual modules, papers or courses you have completed with a numerical and/or letter grade against each. It may also give an overall grade for your qualification.


diploma is a certificate or deed issued by an educational institution, such as college or university, that testifies that the recipient has successfully completed a particular course of study. The word diploma also refers to an academic award which is given after the completion of study in different courses such as diploma in higher education, diploma in graduation or diploma in post graduation etc. Historically, it can also refer to a charter or official document