Admin on Procedures

Registration is the process whereby students sign up for specific classes and pay all assessed fees. Registration instructions for students are included in the Class Schedule issued prior to the beginning of each quarter. Upon registration, the student’s social security number becomes the student’s identification number.  International students and U.S. students who do not wish to use their social security number as their identification number will be issued special student identification numbers. Credit for a course is given only when a student is properly registered in the University and successfully completes the course. An individual is not properly registered until all registration forms required by the Office of Admissions and Records have been filed and all fees have been paid. A student who does not register during the official registration period will be assessed a Late Registration Fee.

Applicants who fail to register for the quarter for which they have been accepted will have their admission eligibility put on a hold status; any transcripts on file at that time will be held for two years. These transcripts may be used for admission during that period. However, if the student undertakes additional coursework at another institution during this interval, the student must have official transcripts of this coursework forwarded to WCU’s Office of Admissions and Records to complete the student’s record of all coursework undertaken prior to admission to WCU. However, such coursework will only be transferable for credit if it meets WCU’s and the program’s policy on the transferability of units.


WCU has specific policies that address the interdependent issues of academic freedom, conflict of interest and academic integrity.

A university is a community of learners bonded together by the search for knowledge; the pursuit of personal, social, cultural, physical, and intellectual development and the desire for the liberating effects of an advanced education.

Education depends upon the free expression and exchange of ideas in the search for truth. Academic freedom is the freedom to express any view, popular or unpopular, and to defend that point of view in open exchange.

In the fullest sense, academic freedom demands a community in which mutual tolerance and understanding flourish. It depends upon freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom to assemble, freedom of conscience and opinion, the right to privacy and the right to fair hearings. The nature of the university’s community demands these freedoms and obligates its members to maintain them in practice and to observe the responsibilities that go along with these freedoms in all phases of their university activities and experience.

Each member of the university community is responsible for acting in an ethical and professional manner. This responsibility includes avoiding conflict of interest, conducting instruction in an ethical manner and protecting the rights of all individuals. All members of the university community ─including members of the university’s faculty, administration, student body and staff should conduct themselves with the greatest professional objectivity.

Academic integrity is of central importance in the university community and involves committed allegiance to the values, the principles and the code of behavior held to be central in that community. The core of a university’s integrity is scholastic honesty. Academic dishonesty is a serious offense that can diminish the quality of scholarship, the academic environment, the academic reputation and the quality of a WCU degree.

All forms of academic dishonesty at WCU are a violation of university policy and will be considered a serious offense. Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to:

  • For faculty: Plagiarism and Falsifying University Documents Plagiarism is a faculty member intentionally or knowingly presenting words, ideas or the work of others as one’s own
  • Falsifying any university document ― includes falsifying signatures on university forms, documents or papers; forging another person’s signature or the modification of university documents which are presented as
  • Breaches of academic integrity are handled by the program director, department chairperson, school dean or the vice It is the responsibility of all faculty and staff to be informed as to what constitutes academic dishonesty and to follow the policy.
  • For Students: Plagiarism is intentionally or knowingly presenting words, ideas or the work of others as one’s own Plagiarism includes copying homework, copying lab reports, copying computer programs, using a work or portion of a work written or created by another but not crediting the source, using one’s own work completed in a previous class for credit in another class without permission, paraphrasing another’s work without giving credit and borrowing or using ideas without giving credit.
  • Cheating during exams ─ includes unauthorized crib sheets, copying from another, looking at another student’s exam, opening books when not authorized, obtaining advance copies of exams, using unapproved or compromising computer technology to share exam information or an exam given by or on computers and having an exam re-graded after making changes. Exam cheating includes exams given during classes, final exams and standardized Use of unauthorized study aids ― includes utilization of other’s computer programs or solutions, copying a copyrighted computer program without permission, using old lab reports, having others perform one’s share of lab work and using any material prohibited by the instructor.
  • Falsifying any university document ― includes falsifying signatures on university forms, such as add/drop and withdrawal forms, forging another student’s signature and falsifying prerequisite

It is the responsibility of all students to be informed of what constitutes academic dishonesty and to follow the policy. A student who is aware of another student’s academic dishonesty is encouraged to report the instance to the instructor of the class, the test administrator, or the school dean, department chairperson, program director or other appropriate supervisor or administrator so that appropriate disciplinary action may be taken.

Attendance Requirements

Instructors are obligated at the beginning of each quarter or course session to announce to their students their policy regarding excessive absence(s). When unexcused absences exceed the number of hours that the class meets in one week, or the instructor judges a student’s absences to be so excessive as to make it impossible for the student to complete the course successfully, the instructor must drop the student from the class.

1.     Absence ─ Absence will be considered excused under the following circumstances: illness, death, or birth in the immediate family, and other valid reasons substantiated in writing and at the discretion of the class instructor, program director, department chairperson or school dean, as is appropriate. All other absences will be considered unexcused.

  1. Tardiness ─ Tardiness is a disruption of a good learning environment and is to be Tardiness without legitimate reason on two occasions in one class will be considered as one unexcused absence.
  2. Cutting Classes─ Cutting of classes   will be considered as unexcused
  3. Make-Up Work ─ Make-up work may be required for any However, hours of make-up work cannot be accepted as hours of class attendance.

The class attendance policy is predicated on the belief that enrollment in the University assumes maturity, seriousness of purpose and self-discipline. Each student is expected to attend the classes for which he/she is registered, to arrive on time and to stay the full class period. The University recognizes that absences may occur as a result of circumstances beyond a student’s control, as well as from a student’s failure to accept the responsibility for attending class regularly.

For all WCU degree courses bearing academic credit, the credit hour is defined as ‘the amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that is an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

  1. one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately ten weeks for one quarter hour of credit;
  2. at least an equivalent amount of work as required in paragraph of this definition for other academic activities as established by the institution, including laboratory work, internships, practicum, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

It is the student’s responsibility to officially drop any class which should not be in his or her program. This is true even if the student has never attended the class.

A prerequisite is a completed course, or other measure of academic preparation, a student is required to meet to demonstrate current readiness for enrollment in a course or program. The University requires students to complete prerequisite courses with a grade of “C,” “CR,” or higher prior to registering in the course requiring the prerequisite. A requisite is a condition of enrollment consisting of a course that a student is required to take simultaneously in order to enroll in another course.

It is the student’s responsibility to determine whether he/she has met a prerequisite requirement or is able to take a requisite to be eligible to take a course so that he/she can make class schedule adjustments when necessary to qualify to take a course. Courses which have prerequisites and/or requisites are clearly identified in the catalog.

During the first week of classes, the instructor will distribute printed information about the course to the students. This course information will include at least the following items:

  1. The instructor’s grading policy
  2. Required texts and other materials
  3. A general outline of subject material to be covered in the course
  4. The availability of the instructor outside of class
  5. Prerequisite(s) and/or requisite(s) for the course
  6. Course goals, objectives and requirements
  7. Attendance requirements
  8. Policy on due dates and make-up work
  9. Schedule of examinations

WCU operates on the quarter system. The university’s academic year is divided into four 10-weeks quarters, which include 9 weeks of instruction and one week of final examinations. The University publishes a schedule of classes prior to the beginning of each quarter. A schedule is given to students when they register or file an application for admission in the Office of Admissions and Records. The University reserves the right to cancel classes if student enrollment is insufficient or for other compelling and justifiable reasons. However, every effort will be made to cancel any such classes well in advance of their start date. Students in canceled classes receive refunds in accordance with the university’s refund policy and the California Education Code.

Students may add courses only during the official add period. The student must submit a completed change of program form to the Office of Admissions and Records. Class additions are subject to space and class-size limits.

Students desiring to officially withdraw from a class must submit a Change of Program Card to the Office of Admissions and Records. A withdrawal initiated either by a student or an instructor after the official date to drop a course without penalty will be recorded on the student’s permanent record as a W grade. Students should be aware that a grade of W will be used in the determination of progress alert or disqualification status.

Enrollment may be administratively canceled, and the student dropped from class for the following reasons:

  1. Invalid enrollment
  2. Failure to attend the first-class meeting or exceeding the limits of the university’s class non- attendance policy
  3. Failure to present an updated student program from the Office of Admissions and Records.

Academic credit at WCU is measured in units of credit. Units of credit are assigned to courses based on the national standard student workload, the Carnegie unit, which is 30 hours/quarter unit of credit.

Specifically, a quarter unit of credit represents: one hour per week of lecture or recitation led by the instructor for 10 weeks and two hours of outside preparation by the student per week for 10 weeks, which is 30 hours per unit of credit (10 hours lecture plus 20 hours of preparation). For a 4-unit course, this is equivalent to 40 hours of instruction/recitation and 80 hours of preparation or 120 hours/per 4 units of quarter credit. To convert quarter units to semester units, multiply by 0.667. To convert semester units to quarter units, multiply by 1.500.

Grading System

Grades are earned for each course that a student is officially enrolled in and are recorded on the student’s permanent record at the end of each quarter. A copy of the permanent record is the transcript. Academic achievement is reported in terms of grade point average (GPA).

WCU’s grading system is as follows:

Students must have a “C” average to graduate.  The university uses the following four-point grade scale:


4.0                                 A                       93+

3.7                                 A-                 90-92

3.3                                 B+                88-89

3.0                                 B                  83-87

2.7                                 B-                 80-82

2.3                                 C+                78-79

2.0                                 C                  73-77

1.7                                 C-                 70-72

1.3                                 D+                68-69

1.0                                 D                  63-67

0.7                                 D-                 60-62

0.0                                 F                  59 or less

A     Work of highest quality in all areas; mastery of facts and concepts; creativity; ability to evaluate data and trends.

B    Adequate mastery of facts and concepts; creativity and analytical ability, but with some weaknesses and room for improvement.

C    Sufficient grasp of facts and a general competence of subject.

D    Insufficient grasp of facts and competence of subject. Students who do not demonstrate improvement are subject to dismissal.

F     Failure to achieve minimal quality or production of work.

W    Withdrawal from a class until the 8th week of the semester.

I      Incomplete work at the end of the course.  This grade is given only if the work is incomplete for valid reasons.  It is the responsibility of the student to finish all incomplete work and ask the instructor to submit a grade change to the registrar.  If the work is not finished in the subsequent semester, without the granting of an extension, the incomplete will be changed to an “F.”

P     Pass

NP  Non-Pass

A plus/minus grading system is utilized at WCU. Plus/minus grading is not mandatory but is utilized at the discretion of the instructor. The grades A+, F+, and F- are not issued. Faculty members use all grades from A to F to distinguish among levels of academic accomplishment. The required grade for graduate level achievement is B and for undergraduate level achievement, a C. The Grade Point is the numerical value assigned to each letter grade.

  1. Certain courses, at the discretion of the instructor and/or the program, department or school, may not be taken on a CR/NC These courses are designated in the quarterly schedule of classes.
  2. No more than 16 units of a student’s coursework for certificate programs may be taken on a CR/NC The limit for the master’s degree in Religion is 20 units.
  3. The maximum number of units that may be taken CR/NC in certificate programs is determined by the department chairperson or the program

Conditions under which Credit/No Credit Evaluation May be Elected by Students:

  1. Students who wish to be graded on a Credit/No Credit basis must submit a petition to the Office of Admissions and Records by the deadline date listed in the appropriate class schedule. No exceptions to the deadline will be made.
  2. An evaluation on a Credit/No Credit basis may not be changed later to a letter grade, nor may the reverse occur. No exceptions to this policy will be made.

A symbol of I, incomplete, may be assigned by an instructor when a student has been unable to complete academic work due to an unforeseeable emergency or for other justifiable reasons by the end of a term. A final grade will be assigned when the work stipulated has been completed and evaluated by the instructor, or when the time limit for completion of the work has passed. I must be made up no later than the last week of the quarter following the end of the term in which it was assigned. In the event of unusual and verifiable circumstances beyond the student’s control, a petition may be filed in the Office of Admissions and Records for extension of the time limit.

An official withdrawal from classes may be requested by the student or initiated on his or her behalf by the instructor. The following conditions apply to official withdrawal:

  1. For regular classes, no record of the class will be entered on the student’s permanent record if the official withdrawal is made on or before the last day to drop a class without it being recorded — the date given in the university’s Academic Calendar and Schedule of
  2. If the withdrawal is made after the deadline for withdrawing without a W and prior to the deadline for a withdrawal without the automatic assignment of an academic grade as listed in the academic calendar for that session, a W will be recorded on the student’s permanent record.
  3. A student attending a session after the deadline for withdrawal will not be eligible to receive a The instructor must then assign an academic grade or an administrative symbol. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon verification of extreme circumstances beyond the control of the student. Petitions requesting exceptions must be filed in the Admissions and Records Office.
  4. Withdrawal, W, symbols will be used in the calculation of lack of progress probation and disqualification status.

The RD symbol may be assigned when there is a delay in reporting the grade of a student due to circumstances beyond the control of the instructor. It is a temporary notation to be replaced by a permanent symbol as soon as possible. RD shall not be used in calculating grade point averages.
Non-Evaluative Symbols are: Symbol Meaning I Incomplete W Withdrawal RD Report Delayed

Academic achievement is reported in terms of grade point average. GPA is computed by dividing total units attempted into total grade points earned. Decisions about probation and disqualification, scholarship, eligibility for graduation and transfer are all influenced or even determined by the student’s GPA; hence, students should pay constant attention to their grade point standing.

CR, NC, W, I, and RD grades are not used in computation of the grade point average, but W, NC and I are used for purposes of progress alert and disqualification status. The term current grade point average refers to the GPA earned in the last quarter of enrollment.
The term cumulative grade point average (CGPA), on the other hand, refers to the average of the total grade points accumulated divided by the total of credits attempted at WCU. The CGPA is calculated and entered on the transcript of the student’s academic record at the end of each full quarter. While courses may be transferred from other institutions, CGPAs are determined only based on courses completed at WCU.

WCU has not entered into any articulation or transfer agreements with any other college or university. However, the University may accept transfer credit coursework earned at previously attended colleges and universities if the course and course grade meet the transfer requirements of the program to which it is being transferred. Coursework from international institutions will require thorough documentation evidencing equivalency to the standards set by the U.S. Department of Educations for accredited institutions.

WCU will accept transfer credits from other postsecondary institutions subject to the following conditions and limitations:

  1. Credits earned at institutions recognized by USDE and accredited by CHEA approved accrediting agencies such as ABHE, TRACS, ATS, and regional accrediting agencies are transferred through official transcripts. The university reserves the right to deny credit for specific courses.
  2. Credits earned at unaccredited institutions may be transferred on a conditional basis through official transcripts subject to the following:
  3. Only a percentage of credits will be considered, not to exceed 40 percent of completed hours (38 credits).
  4. Credits to be validated and transferred must meet the following criteria
  5. The student must complete twelve academic hours in residency at WCU with a 2.0 grade point average.
  6. The qualifications of each professor must be verified through the office of the Chief Academic Officer.
  7. A course must fit the appropriate major or be applied as a general elective.
  8. A full course description from the college catalog must be provided.

The student may be required to pass a WCU validation exam for the course to be transferred.

  1. A maximum of 45 hours of credit by CLEP may be recorded. Scores must be submitted for evaluation.
  2. Credits accepted in transfer must be at the grade level of ‘C’ or higher.
  3. Only credit hours are accepted in transfer. Grades for transferred hours are not transferable.  This means transfer hours will not be computed in the student’s grade point average.
  4. Courses acceptable for transfer need not be identical with a course offered at WCU, but they must be, even as a general elective, in line with the requirements of each program. For example, a student who pursued a curriculum in a field in which courses are not offered at WCU may not expect to receive full transfer for his/her previous work.

Students desiring to transfer credits must have an official transcript on file and must confer with the Chief Academic Officer before or during their first semester at WCU.  Upon review of the transcript, the Dean will complete a transfer evaluation.

WCU will provide each approved transfer applicant with a tentative evaluation of credits to be accepted for transfer.  An official evaluation will be made after the applicant selects and registers in a degree program. Transferred credits may not appear on WCU transcripts until 9 hours are satisfactorily completed.

It is University policy to accept credits earned at institutions fully accredited by their regional/national accrediting association for colleges and universities, provided that such credits have been earned through university-level courses appropriate to the student’s degree program at WCU. However, the Office of Admissions reserves the right to accept or reject credits earned at other institutions of higher education. The University has not entered into an articulation or transfer agreement with any other college or university.

Criteria for transfer credit are as below. Students must complete credits at WCU as ascribed in the chart. Note that no more than 20% of graduate semester units or the equivalent in other units awarded by another institution may be transferred for credit toward a master’s degree.

The transferability of credits you earn at WCU is at the complete discretion of an institution to which you may seek to transfer. Acceptance of the degree or certificate, you earn in your program is also at the complete discretion of the institution to which you may seek to transfer. If the credits, degree or certificate that you earn at this institution are not accepted at the institution to which you seek to transfer, you may be required to repeat some or all your coursework at that institution. For this reason, you should make certain that your attendance at this institution will meet your educational goals. This may include contacting an institution to which you may seek to transfer after attending WCU to determine if your credits, degree or certificate will transfer.

No student is permitted to enroll in two or more courses that overlap in time in any given academic quarter without official written approval from the courses’ instructors and the Office of Admissions and Records. Forms are available in the Office of Admissions and Records.

Students may repeat any course in which a less than “C” grade is received. No course in which a “C” or better grade has been earned may be repeated. b. Graduate, master’s, and doctoral students may repeat any course in which a B- or less or NC final grade was received.

A course may be repeated only once under these policies. Upon completion of a repeated course, the original grade will be removed from the cumulative totals on the student’s permanent record in such a manner that the integrity of the student’s academic history is maintained. Only the last grade will be included in determining CGPA and academic standing, and only those units will be counted toward graduation.

A student may request permission to waive or substitute a course for one that is required to complete graduation requirements. Petitions for waiver of requirements in the major must be approved by the office of the academic program administrator – program director, department chairperson or school dean. Petitions are available in the Office of Admissions and Records.

Students who wish to attend a class for personal enrichment, and not for academic credit, may be granted auditors’ status. Auditors attend class with no obligation to actively participate in a course’s activities. However, an Auditor must qualify as a Regular Standing student to audit courses in a degree program, as well as meet any course prerequisite or corequisite requirements. Only courses in which the instructor approves auditors may be audited. An abbreviated admission process is necessary to receive this status, and audit fees are required for each class in which a student enrolls.

Probation and disqualification policies are based on the philosophy that the University has an obligation to assist students who, due to unsatisfactory academic performance, may have trouble in realizing their potential.

Certificate program students with CGPA below 2.0 and graduate student with CGPA below 2.5 shall be placed on academic probation.

  1. A student on probation is required to meet with his/her academic advisor to review their academic b. A student on probation may be assigned a restricted program of studies.
  1. Any certificate program student who is on academic probation whose grade point average for coursework undertaken in the quarter just completed is 0 or better, but whose overall or cumulative grade point average for all coursework attempted is still less than 2.0 shall remain on academic probation. Any graduate student whose GPA is 2.5 or better for coursework just completed but whose cumulative GPA, CGPA, is still less than 2.5 shall remain on probation.

Any student placed on academic probation shall be removed from probation when the cumulative grade point average at WCU has improved to 2.0 for certificate program students and 2.5 for graduate students.

A student may stay on academic probation no more than two quarters. Any certificate program student currently on academic probation whose grade point average for coursework undertaken in the quarter just completed is less than 2.0 and any graduate student whose GPA is less than 2.5 shall be academically disqualified and the VA and other appropriate agencies will be promptly notified.

Any student who is academically disqualified may not attend the University during the succeeding quarter. Re-enrollment or re-admission will be approved only after evidence is shown to the appropriate university official’s satisfaction program director, department chairperson, school dean or director of admissions and records that the conditions that caused the interruption for unsatisfactory progress have been rectified. A re-applying student must meet all the university’s and the program’s entrance requirements in effect at the time of re-applying. Should a student, undergraduate or graduate, wish to re- apply for admission to the same program they were disqualified from previously, it will be the decision of the appropriate administrator as to whether to re-admit the student to the program, and, if so, what the student’s status or standing in the program will be.

Reinstatement any student who believes he/she has been unjustifiably disqualified may file a petition with the Office of Admissions and Records requesting that such disqualification be reconsidered.

Final examinations are required and will be given at the scheduled times. A student may make up a final at any time when, in the judgment of the instructor, conditions warrant such an exception. If an examination is scheduled at a time that is in violation of a student’s religious creed, the student will be allowed to make up the examination without penalty.

Final grades will be available at the end of each quarter. The instructor of the course shall determine the grade given to each student except in the case of a mistake, fraud, incompetency or a grade issued in bad faith.

Only the instructor who teaches a class has the authority to issue grades to students enrolled in that class or to change grades that have already been issued. A student who wishes to request a grade change may take the following steps:

  1. Contact the If there was a mistake in reporting the grade, the instructor will institute a grade change through the Office of Admissions and Records.
  2. If the request for a grade change is denied by the instructor, the student may ask for a review of the grade by the school dean, department chairperson, or program
  3. Any change of a grade after it has been submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records must be done within one year following the end of the term in which the grade was No grade will be changed after the one-year period without supporting evidence of extenuating circumstances and approval of the Director of Admissions and Records and the appropriate administrator – program director, department chairperson or school dean.

Emergency Leave of Absence if an extreme emergency makes it impossible for a student to attend classes for a short period of time, the student may petition the instructor for a Leave of Absence (LA). Petitions for leaves of absences are obtained from the Office of Admissions and Records. Absences incurred while on a LA are not counted toward excessive absence. Approval is at the discretion of the instructor and may be for periods not to exceed five class days. Instructors will be asked to give make-up assignments for all work missed during the LA. Under no circumstances will emergency leaves be granted at the end of the quarter when finals would be missed, or course requirements not fulfilled.

When a student finds it necessary to interrupt progress toward a degree for a reason that is related to his or her educational objective and that is acceptable to the appropriate university authorities, the student may be granted a Leave of Absence. Only students in good standing are eligible for a Leave of Absence. Leave of Absence will be granted when the student has filed an approved petition with the Office of Admissions and Records. The leave petition, which must be approved by the appropriate academic administrator, shall specify the reasons for the leave and the duration of the leave.

A student granted a leave of absence has a commitment from the University to be reinstated in good standing. The reason(s) for requesting a leave must be stated clearly and completely. Reasons students may petition for Leave of Absence are, but are not limited to, the following:

  • professional or academic opportunities such as travel or study abroad, employment related to educational goals in the student’s major field of study, or participation in field study or research projects;
  • medical reasons including pregnancy, major surgery, or other health-related circumstances, and financial reasons such as the necessity to work for a specified period in order to resume study with adequate resources.

Approval will depend upon the significance of the leave in furthering the student’s educational objective. It is the student’s responsibility to demonstrate that there is a significant relationship between the Leave of Absence and progress toward their educational objective.

Leaves may be granted for a maximum of two years or eight consecutive quarters. A request for Leave of Absence must be filed prior to the period of absence. Retroactive leave requests will not be approved.

Failure to return from Leave of Absence, as specified in the approved petition, will be considered as a withdrawal from the University. Under such circumstances, re- enrollment will require a full application for readmission under the same circumstances as any new or returning applicant, including enrollment in the curriculum in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

A student who discontinues attendance and participation in all coursework in which he/she is officially enrolled for an academic quarter without a formal filing of a Petition for Withdrawal from the University will administratively receive the grade of F in all coursework officially enrolled in for that quarter. A student may petition to have these grades retroactively changed to the administrative grade of W, if he/she can demonstrate and document that there were serious and compelling reasons for the unofficial withdrawal from the University during the quarter in question.

A student who wishes to apply for retroactive withdrawal must do so within one calendar year of the last day of the quarter in which he/she unofficially withdrew from the University. A student does not have to be enrolled at the University at the time the application for retroactive withdrawal is submitted. Petitions are available from the Office of Admissions and Records.

Students have the opportunity, upon determining that they are pursuing a course of study in which they are no longer interested, to change to another major. In such cases, students should consult their advisers for assistance in making the change.

Transfer from one major to another does not in any way change the student’s scholastic standing, nor does it constitute a break in continuous enrollment. However, students who change major are subject to the core and support requirements in effect at the time of the change of major.

Although the University has specified a program of courses for each major, under certain conditions, a student may be permitted to deviate from the established curriculum. Information regarding a request to deviate from the curriculum may be obtained from the student’s academic advisor.

Students remaining in continuous attendance may elect to meet the degree requirements in effect either:

(1) at the time they take their first course as a Regular Status student in a degree program

(2) at the time they graduate. Substitutions for discontinued courses may be authorized or required by the program offering the degree.

Enrollment in WCU is measured in full-time equivalent (FTE) students. One FTE is the equivalent of 15 units of student course credit. One FTE could represent one student carrying 15 course-units, three students each carrying five course-units, or any other student/course combination the sum of which equals 15 course-units. The university’s FTE enrollment is the total course-units taken by all students divided by 15. FTE is not related to full-time student status. A full- time student is not necessarily a full-time equivalent student.

Any change of the student’s name should be immediately reported to the Office of Admissions and Records. Students reporting name changes during a quarter are advised also to notify their instructors in order to maintain proper recognition and identification.

Any refunds due to the student will be made by the university’s Office of Admissions and Records in compliance with the students Enrollment Agreement and the university’s Refund Policy.

Each student who has an academic record on file at WCU is entitled to one transcript of record without charge. Additional copies may be obtained at ten dollars ($10.00) per copy, payable in advance.

Due to requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, any requests for transcripts must be submitted in writing and include the student’s signature and student number. A transcript will be issued after the student has settled all financial obligations to the University.

Grades, transcripts, diplomas, and registration privileges, or any combination thereof, shall be withheld from any student or former student who has been provided with a written notice that he/she has failed to pay a financial obligation incurred at the University. Any item(s) withheld shall be released when the student satisfactorily meets the financial obligation. If a student believes that he/she does not owe all or part of an unpaid obligation, the student should contact the university’s Admissions and Records department. The Office of Admissions and Records will review the information, including information the student may wish to present, and will advise the student of its conclusions concerning the debt.

A student has the right to cancel the Enrollment Agreement anytime and obtain a refund of charges paid (except for the application fee) through attendance at the first-class session, or the seventh day after enrollment, whichever is later. Refunds after this date will be based on a pro rata basis. (See Student Eligibility for Tuition Refunds and Schedule of Refunds) A petition for withdrawal from the University may be obtained from the Office of Admissions and Records. It is the responsibility of the student to secure the required signatures, to be cleared of all obligations and to file the withdrawal form with the Office of Admissions and Records. In the event of a verified medical condition which necessitates complete withdrawal from college, the student will be given approval for a medical withdrawal.

Excessive absences, disruptive behavior, or deliberate falsification of information are bases for dismissal from class and/or from the University for a period to be determined by the instructor, the program administrator, director of admissions and records and the vice president.